About the CDD Development Camp

  Attached you will find the reStructured Text version of the blog entry I've
  written about the CDD DevCamp we had in Castelló, I know there are a lot of
  things missing, feel free to add what's missing on replies to this mail or
  the Wiki ;)

  Greetings,

    Sergio.

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>   <http://people.debian.org/~sto/>
Key fingerprint = 29DF 544F  1BD9 548C  8F15 86EF  6770 052B  B8C1 FA69

As I've said many times, last week we celebrated a `CDD Development Camp`_ in
Castelló (Spain); this entry is to summarize my impressions about the event and
send their summaries and talk about their impressions, as I was busy the last
evening and probably missed something else during Friday morning and the first
day.

Fist I have to say that all the people listed on the Wiki was able to come,
and all of them were very nice, I like to meet people interested in Debian
because usually I see that, despite being all different, we have always
something else in common that is not simply related to Software, or at least
that is my impression.

During the first morning we were all together on a room of the third floor, it
was a lot better than last year's place (not really difficult) and once we set
up the network connectivity (again, much better than last year, as the WiFI
just worked for the almost everybody and the ones without direct connection
were able to get it through an Ethernet hub that was connected to a laptop),
we started to talk about the current status of things.

Of course we missed some people to explain some of the tools (i.e. nobody was
familiar with FAI_, so there was no explanation of it's features), but a lot
of issues were discussed and we saw that there were agreement on some points:

- A Live CD system that uses the installer hardware detection and mounts the CD
  as a writable file system using a technologies like the device mapper or
  unionfs is the way to go, as allows to do real tests of custom installation
  (a CD like this was presented on the debian-edu meeting in Greece, it can be
  downloaded from http://).

- We want predictable releases, right now nobody has big problems because
  everybody sees the end of the tunnel for Sarge, but (and that's my opinion)
  the etch release will be the really important point: if we manage to release
  it in a reasonable period (12/18 months) the release management for CDD can
  be easily synchronized with Debian, if not we will have to do something to be
  able to be based on Debian and still do our own releases.

- A simpler system to generate debian-cd's would be great, as the current
  script is too centered on the official CD set and that's not usually what a
  CDD needs.

- My `cddtk proposal`_ had been read only by some of the attendants, but
  for almost all the points I mentioned we all agreed (and some of the points
  not discussed will be revisited in the near future, as I found I had some
  miss understandings about debconf).

  In any case I 'll try to continue developing the cddtk ASAP, probably with
  the help of some of other developers that were on the room (in fact that was
  my main interest on the DevCamp, ;).

  Ah, and I'll try to write a short summary of the proposal at the beginning
  of the document, that way maybe someone will at least will read that.

After lunch we had a lot of round tables and Conferences, the one that
interested me most was the one given by *Bart Cornelis* about `desktop
customization`_; besides explaining clearly how we can customize the most
popular desktops he also talked about a package to help us on the definition
of profiles that will be uploaded soon to Debian... I'm sure I'll try it.

After the last round table (that was being celebrated at the same time as the
talk about Debian-Edu) there was an extra talk by Richard Stallman, that
appeared in the Congress by surprise (at least for me).

Some of the people attending the DevCamp went to see the Stallman's talk
against patents, but most of us stayed on our room talking with Mark
Shuttleworth about Ubuntu_, Debian_ and Custom Distributions.

One idea that was clear to all of us is that, if Ubuntu keeps it's
compatibility with Debian, at least on the package level, the CDD tools would
be useful for both systems, so there is room for cooperation.

In fact Mark assured us that they will keep *resynchronizing* with **Debian
Sid**, because other ways they won't be able to maintain such a big number of
packages (that is, they know they have to maintain a *delta* against
**Debian** to be able to provide some things that are key for them, but they
don't want to change everything, because in this case they will need too much
manpower to handle the differences). I'm skeptical, but who knows, maybe in a
couple of years Ubuntu and Debian still coexist and cooperate, we will see.

After that we went back to the hotel to go to the conference dinner, that was
quite long (I was told that some of the people left it at 3 a.m., I went away
earlier, as I was really tired).

The second day started at the same room, about 10:00 a.m., but I had to
introduce someone on the ground floor.

When I arrived to the room there was Petter talking about multi-level
configuration; the basic idea is that, to be really configurable, programs
should be able to read it's configuration from multiple files, allowing them
to override each other when needed (i.e., a program has it's standard configuration
on /usr/share/, but it also reads administrator overrides on /etc/ and on the
user's home directory).

If the programs worked that way none of the Debian packages should need to
provide an /etc file (unless when it is generated by debconf, and in that case
it generates a really simple file) and upgrades should replace standard
configurations automatically (the ones on /usr/share, never modified by the
user) and take care of converting the administrator's files on /etc files to
newer formats on upgrades (only if needed, of course).

Using this model the complexity of upgrades goes to upstream and/or the
package maintainers, but we have a system that can be customized and upgraded
better than now. The proposal has it's problems (i.e. this does not generally
allows package downgrading), but all of us agreed on it being a good idea
that we should try to propose to upstream maintainers and to other
distributors (that way they'll also ask for this kind of support to upstream
authors).

Another thing we talked about was debconf preseeding, and I have to admit I
was totally wrong about how it has to be handled (none of my packages is using
debconf now, but I they did they would all be buggy, as I was treating debconf
as a registry, despite knowing it is not one).

My main miss conception is related at how already seen questions are handled,
now I know that, once a configuration file exists, if a package is
reconfigured the values shown to the user have to be taken from the
configuration file, not from the debconf database, because that is the only
way to keep user changes when reconfiguring, as he or she can modify things
without using debconf.

Having that clear, presseding only makes sense when first installing a system,
because if you reapply a presseeding and reconfigure without user interaction
the system is going to take the /etc file values, not the ones included on the
preseeding.

Now that I now that I believe we should use preseeding for installers, but to
have full control over customized systems and be able to upgrade them we need
another mechanism, which is probably the scripts system I describe on my
proposal.

Well, after the morning session I had to be on the main congress room to talk
about Debian and LliureX, and was not able to follow the discussions, but I'm
sure someone else will be able to send a summary to the debian-custom list.

After the Congress ended I said goodbye to everyone and went to Valencia, but
that is another story I've already `blogged about`_.

.. _`CDD development Camp`: http://cdd-devcamp.debian.net/
.. _FAI: http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/
.. _`desktop customization`: http://developer.skolelinux.no/~cobaco/talks/Valencia2005/
.. _`cddtk proposal`: http://cdd-devcamp.debian.net/cddtool.html