Re: CDDs projects on Alioth

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Free Ekanayaka wrote:

If all CDD  projects where under Topic->Debian->Customising (or whaver
category), I would get  the same  result: just  write in the  doc "CDD
projects can be found here".
This is also fine for me.
My point of view was not very strong connected to these categories
(perhaps I'm to directory / technical centric).  Just feel free to
fix the documentation into this direction.

Creating  an  Alioth  project  is   really  straight  for   the system
administrator, and considering that a  CDD is typically a long lasting
project it worth the effort of  requesting a new  project and wait for
it.
The question is whether you really win something doing that.  IMHO
separating is kind of hiding from the view of people doing technically
the same thing.  Alioth is a technical (at least in my view) organisation
and your user audience will probably find other places to search for
the result of your work than grabbing the code from SVN.

Furthermore consider that according to

http://www.debian.org/misc/children-distros

there are ~30 debian  based distro, and  I  guess the document  is out
dated and the  number  is currently raising   (as tbm said  during the
workshop in Florence).

Now  consider having them all  under the same  Alioth project, with an
average of  3  developers  for  each CDD,   with  the relevant  commit
notifications, mailing list  messages, released files, possible GForge
trackers, etc. it would probably be a mess.
Well, this is absolute no argument.  CDD is about *reducing* the
number of similar distributions and if you would like to take over the
task to find out the differences of all these childrens distros, I'm
keen on your reasons why they all make sense.  I'd vote for one CDD
for children (I do not mean education here - just for playing around)
with the name Debian-Jr.  It should be that flexible that all people
who *really* need something which is not possible to integrate here
could take over and build their derived distribution (from Debian-Jr
as well thought basis for this stuff).  I doubt that Alioth
admins would create 30 different children distro trees separately.

The point IMO is that having everything  in one single project doesn't
scale very well.  Look at sourceforge  project, for  example, each one
has it's own page, cvs, ml, etc, and everybody is happy with it.
Well, as I said this depends from your point of view if you see CDD as
*one* project using the same tools.  If you see really an advantage
to keep your stuff separately - just gof for it.  It is free.  But
please - for the sake of your own success - document it apropriate.