Re: CDDs projects on Alioth

|--==> Andreas Tille writes:

  AT> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Free Ekanayaka wrote:
  >>It seems that  currently  Debian-Med and  Debian-Junior are  following
  >>such  approach, while Debian-BR and   Debian-NP have their own  Alioth
  >>projects, located respectively under category Communication [1] and
  >>category Debian [2].
  AT> Once I started also a Debian-Med alioth project but decided not to use it
  AT> (at least for the moment) for the packages code.

  >>Personally I prefer to have different project for different things, as
  >>modularity helps management and development a lot.
  AT> Sure.  My idea was to have the same thing in one project: CDD,  It depends
  AT> from your view on these things and I will not mind if you see it differently
  AT> than me. ;-)

  >>In this view the CDD alioth project deals only with tools for building
  AT> s/this/your/

Yes, my view, of course :)

  >>and maintaining a generic CDD, and it's current category (Debian->Packaging)
  >>seems quite appropriate to me.
  AT> May be we should adjust the category to more sane values - feel free to
  AT> do so.

  >>As far  as specific CDD  are concerned I'd rather  create a new Alioth
  >>category Debian->Custom, and open an Alioth project for each of them.
  AT> If you have enough time to maintain a separate project ...

  >>What do you think about this?
  AT> It's fairly obvious (according to my decision) that I would stick to the
  AT> common place.  The pros are:

  AT>    - Newcommers get an easier overview over existing code of different CDDs
  AT>    - It is easy to document where CDD code is placed (without changing the
  AT>      documentation if a new CDD has startet) - I hope you will fix the
  AT>      docs in cdd-doc to reflect the location of your CDD and I also hope
  AT>      the currently separately located CDDs will do so as well (hmmm ...)

If all CDD  projects where under Topic->Debian->Customising (or whaver
category), I would get  the same  result: just  write in the  doc "CDD
projects can be found here".

  AT>    - You spend less time in creating the alioth project, install mail
  AT>      services for SVN, manage developers etc.

  AT> What are your cons?

Creating  an  Alioth  project  is   really  straight  for   the system
administrator, and considering that a  CDD is typically a long lasting
project it worth the effort of  requesting a new  project and wait for
it.

Furthermore consider that according to

http://www.debian.org/misc/children-distros

there are ~30 debian  based distro, and  I  guess the document  is out
dated and the  number  is currently raising   (as tbm said  during the
workshop in Florence).

Now  consider having them all  under the same  Alioth project, with an
average of  3  developers  for  each CDD,   with  the relevant  commit
notifications, mailing list  messages, released files, possible GForge
trackers, etc. it would probably be a mess.

The point IMO is that having everything  in one single project doesn't
scale very well.  Look at sourceforge  project, for  example, each one
has it's own page, cvs, ml, etc, and everybody is happy with it.

Cheers,

Free