Re: Build user menu entries in postinst

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Lluis wrote:

> well, i know that for now only txt and html are planned to be used, but
> you could make this more generic and avoid the check with 'file' if
> using the 'see' command...
Seems that I forgot your hint - it's now on my TODO-List and will be
implemented soon ...
But we need the check anyway because I try to use the hints feature
in the menu entries.  If the file type is HTML I try to extract the
title from the HTML file else the first line of the text file is used.

> well, has somebody took a look through the gnome or kde menu system?
>
> i've investigated a little, and i've found no automagically script for
> doing something like /usr/lib/menu/cdd-menu, but i've thought of
> something that might be a workaround...
>
> we could create menu files on /etc/cdd/<CDD>/{gnome,kde} for Gnome and
> KDE, respectively, and when updating the menus, symlinks to there could
> be created for each CDD/role if the user is on it (for example, in
> Gnome symlinks to /etc/cdd/<CDD>/gnome could be created on
> $HOME/.gnome2/vfolders)
>
> what do you think?
At LSM Bordeaux I has a talk with the menu maintainer Bill Allombert
and he told me that it just must be a bug in Gnome and that this should
be fixed.  So I'd suggest to wait or fix the bug in the Gnome menu system.
It is a general problem and we should not try to find sirty workarounds
for CDD.