Re: Doc packages

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, Sergio Talens-Oliag wrote:

> > No this makes no sense.  Just read
> >
> >  http://people.debian.org/~tille/cdd/ch-technology.en.html#s-any-dependency--menus
> >
> > (and tell me if this not easily understandable ;-) ).
>
>   OK, reading this I understand that what you want is to have a menu
>   entry that, instead of executing an application, opens a documentation
>   viewer with your docs ... If that is what you want I'll put this docs
>   in /usr/share/cdd/CDDNAME/pkgdocs/ and add menu entries for each
>   document that open it in the preferred viewer.
You do not need to put this manually because cdd-dev can do this for
you.

>   I've used the name *pkgdocs* to avoid using the *docs* name alone, I
>   agree with you in that *docs* is confusing.
Well, pkgdocs is also a reasonable name.  We should decide about the
following:

  1. Currently the docs of the dependent packages which have no menu
     entry will be placed in

       /usr/share/doc/<cdd>-<metapackage>/<dependency>.txt

     IMHO this is reasonable because this docs will be easily found
     by people who are used to browse /usr/share/doc for relevant information.

  2. It would be interesting to change this location to

       /usr/share/cdd/<cdd>/<metapackage>/<dependency>.{txt,html}

     to have a common place for CDD stuff but I would definitely
     place a symlink to /usr/share/doc/<cdd>-<metapackage>/pkgdocs
     to not hide this informationb from /usr/share/doc.

What would you prefer?

>   I think so, what I'll try to do is having something in /etc that lets
>   the sysadmin customize the menus, maybe simply using /usr/lib/cdd/menu
>   and his local changes to generate the real menus.
Well, we should introduce an option which *overrides* the default menu
in /etc/cdd/<cdd> but thinking twice about the current location I do
not think that the current entries we are providing are really configuration
files.

>   Actually our problem is that, as with other things, we are working
>   first in the quick solution (our menus are only going to be used in
>   GNOME, so we are studying the gconf issues and using '.desktop'
>   entries) to be able to solve the urgent ... showing the actual package
>   selections in their right places. Once we have it working we will try
>   to use the cdd system to generate the menus, modifying or adding
>   things if needed.
Well, we should have a look at xmenu-xdg.  Once there was a hint that
this should help in provifing the Debian menus also for KDE and Gnome
and once I had some success but did not observed it continuosely.  I
guess I just forgot the issue and the dependency from this package in
cdd-common.  It would be nice if somebody could verify this.

I'm very keen on your experiences and remarks to make cdd-common / cdd-dev
as good as possible for your purpose.