Fwd: Re: CDD World Domination @Debconf4

(Forward original post and reply to the list, because I prevously hit the
wrong "reply" button)

------

it's great to see a nice world domination plan, very good. ;-)

I'd like to give some little feedback, just in case you appreceate it.

>     - Release process
>        - (add your name here)

I suppose this is about "the swirl" release scripts, Martin  Loschwitz posted
about on debian-desktop?

>     - Technical infrastructure
>        - Kalfa
>        - Petter

When it comes to improving the configuration management and debconf I'd again
like to suggest to have a look at Config4GNU. Not to adopt the implementation
but maybe the concepts behind it to improve the situation. Config4GNU is
rather lacking active developers right now, and would need some interested
people to pick it up, nevertheless it is out there and a lot of thought went
into it.  It drawed on many ideas, including many from debconf, and added
some really advanageous I think. Most notably the concept of separately
maintainable meta-config definition files and optional UI meta data. CFG
supports different frontends like debconf, additionally it supports modular
backends and allows fine grained setting aware config upgrades and
no-conficts by design (guaranteed config file authority).
http://freedesktop.org/Software/CFG

>     - Categorization work and package selection
>        - Enrico

I guess that includes your work on debtags you also wrote about. A question I
had was if it could be allowed to select/install different CDDs
simultaniously. For example you choose debian-edu (server) and also want the
(not yet existing) debian-firewall/gateway customisation on the same machine.
Well a better (less likely to conflict) example might be debian-desktop and
debian-gateway or another "lower level" customization that could prossibly be
shared between CDDs.

Kind Regards,
Christian