Re: Knoppix to Debian - A Roadmap what needs to be done

El Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 02:38:00PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow escribió:
> > 2. I think the most important step is to have a official CVS / arch
> > for knoppix, which will hopefully soon be reality. (LinuxTag team is
> > working on that)
> >
> > It'll make knoppix development more transparent and allow to work on
> > the packages in the first place.
> >
> > Soon after LinuxTag I had almost all packages lintian clean, but I
> > lost sync again, which would not have happened if I had a CVS at
> > that time.
>
> As you might remember I'm working on debix. We basically have the same
> goals just that I start of with a plain Debian and adding stuff while
> you have Knoppix and try to transform it to fit. If you wish I can
> give you acces to debix.alioth.d.o and we can setup the cvs there. I
> would love to have the knoppix debs tracked and easily available
> somewhere.

  From your words, I think that debix is more or less what I was thinking about:

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-custom/2004/debian-custom-200404/msg00036.html

  Am I right?

> > I don't know if discover can support all of that yet, so I would
> > propose to work with the standard knoppix packages for the live-CD
> > and do a smooth migration.
> >
> > One step could be to modularise knoppix-autoconfig, but I have not
> > yet found the need to do so ...
> >
> > You must understand: Most of the things knoppix uses are there for
> > certain reasons. Of course it needs to be checked if they apply
> > still, but for example hwsetup is nice, as it shows a progress
> > meter. I dunno about discover here.
> >
> > Hardware detection for Knoppix also means: Setup of X11-config,
> > Setup of /etc/fstab, automatic DHCP-Requests (that are in
> > background), include of persistent home / saved configuration ...
>
> Most of that stuff can be done without policy violation or by saying
> "The intention of the deb is to modify etc/fstab so it may violate
> policy there". Know of any that are problematic? X11-config isn't,
> which is the one I'm most intrested in for debix.

  Well, as I see it there's no need to use debs that modify other
  packages' config files, they should only modify them at runtime when
  running from the LiveCD.

> Problem is when you have to replace some essential/required package
> with a patched one. Updating such a system would be painfull since
> frontends tend to pull such debs back in.

  Is this really needed? I mean, we can install special versions of the
  packages that don't conflict with the original ones and use them only
  when running from CD.

> > 5. X11 / Xsession
> >
> > Knoppix currently uses /etc/inittab and /etc/init.d/xsession to start the
> > Xserver, which basicly does a startx.
>
> Do we have any mechanism to modify /etc/inittab in debian? Otherwise
> one has to justify modifying that when "knoppix-x11-config.deb" (or
> other name) is installed and adds the startx.
>
> The /etc/init.d/xsession can be renamed/moved along with the scripts
> using it and the XF86Config file. It means a Knoppix X11 setup uses
> scripts/config in a different place but it can be done policy
> compliant and easily.

  With a special LiveCD's init we can use a different 'inittab' and a
  different runlevel schema that is only used when booting from the
  LiveCD. I see no policy problems with this schema.

> > Ok, what you can do:
> >
> > - Test the original debian kernel with Knoppix: What does work -
> > what does not work?
> > - Debootstrap a testing, install all packages from
> > developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/ boot into it and use Klaus' build
> > scripts.  Upload to see where it needs work / tweaking ...
>
> I will try to add this as option to debix. Lets see if I can produce
> bootable images from that without human intervention.

  I'll be happy to test this.

  Greetings,

    Sergio.

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>   <http://people.debian.org/~sto/>
Key fingerprint = 29DF 544F  1BD9 548C  8F15 86EF  6770 052B  B8C1 FA69