Re: Help in setting up a cluster

Look into Mosix for simple heterogenous clustering of linux boxes, but you have to comfortable rolling your own kernels unless somethings changed.  Last time I was a student, you could get Mosix for free as a student.

The webserver failover is a slightly different topic from distributed/cluster computing IMO.  One easy thing to do would be to make an image whereby every machine had the same webserver and content, and use some kind of load balancing/redirection.

Good Luck!