Re: starting a cluster

Micha Feigin wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 00:51:04 -0600
> "John T. Haggerty" <jpcookie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ok as a proof of concept in my mind I would love to know how would be the
>> "easiest" method of being able to create a 2 cluster computer system using
>> debian to fully utilize two machines CPU cycles and ram alotments to run off
>> of a single pre-existing app?
>>
>> Or is this *requiring* that I write my own app in principle I would love to
>> take some graphically intensive app and distribute it over both to allow for
>> a more speedy interface and or perhaps a more enjoyable interface.
>>
>> All of the documentation looks like it was meant for a scientist but I'm
>> sure that there is a more down to earth proven version of this as I do have
>> experience with the unix/linux/debian/etc OS and variants for at least 5
>> years so I guess I can handle it.
>>
>> Just asking what you would recommend for this and how would be the easiest
>> way to deal with it.
>>

> What you want isn't possible at the moment AFAIK.
>
> To utilize a two computer cluster you have two options
>
> 1. write the programs specifically to run on a cluster (using mpi for example).
> 2. Use ssi cluster system (single system image) such as mosix or kerrighed to
> automatically load balance your cluster by automatically migrating processes.
> None of these however can distribute a multi threaded program over different
> nodes at the moment. You also have a memory bottleneck so a highly graphical
> program probably won't run to smoothly when away (not to mention the issue of
> load balancing gpu accelerated programs which is also not available at the
> moment).
>
> I did read about some system implemented in hardware over infiniband but I
> can't recall the name at the moment and it's most probably not at the price
> range that you intend.

1) It is possible to use software such as Chromium to distribute a
single program into several rendering jobs, making the construction of a
view wall possible. The original program still runs on one node. See
plastik.net for extreme multiheaded Quake.

2) Flightgear can use sister nodes running slaved instances of
Flightgear to show different views of your aircraft without taxing the
master node. This is one of a handful of programs which can operate in
such a way.

--
Geoffrey D. Jacobs