Re: Render Farm

Yes, MPI + Povray work on a Debian Beowulf cluster.

I applied a patch, see [1], to Povray version 3.1g (not a recent version
though) and was able to achieve a significant speedup. I looks very cool
when you see the blocks arriving from the slaves and being displayed as
the rendering goes on. We use it frequently as a demo.

If you need to render several images, frames of an animation for
example, the speedup will be better and the setup less complicated if
you do the parallelization by frames and not by blocks wihtin an image.
This is due to the serial parts, eg. parts of the code that do not get
parallelized, as the parsing of the input file.

I hope this helps. Cheers,
Michael

[1]
http://www.verrall.demon.co.uk/mpipov/