Re: Huge AMD Opteron cluster installed with FAI and Debian amd64

* Matthias H. Hennig <hennig@cn.stir.ac.uk> [2004-11-16 15:55:11 +0000]:

> As I understand, FAI can handle this - what is your experience? And how
> does it work precisely, simply by chroot or some other method?
> The problem we're facing is that most nodes are pc's with different
> hardware configuration, so almost each node needs a custom kernel as
> well. Is this supported well in FAI?

FAI handles non-uniformed sets of machines very well by using classes.
See

  http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/fai-guide.html/ch-config.html#s-classc

or /usr/share/doc/fai/examples/*/class if you already have installed
fai. Here is a modifed example from beowulf/class:

  # the Beowulf cluster; all nodes except the master node use classes from
  # file class/atoms
  case $HOSTNAME in
      atom00) echo "BEOWULF BEOWULF_MASTER DHCP_SERVER DNS_SERVER";;
      atom1?) echo "BEOWULF ATOMCLIENT HOME_CLIENT DELL510";;
      atom2?) echo "BEOWULF ATOMCLIENT HOME_CLIENT DELL630";;
      atom3?) echo "BEOWULF ATOMCLIENT HOME_CLIENT HP100";;
  esac

Then you can handle the DELL510, DELL630, HP100 classes by installing
different kernels.

--
Mats Rynge

   ,''`.         Got Woody?