[Jeff Squyres <jsquyres@lam-mpi.org>] Re: LAM: LAM/MPI v7.1 released

Greetings!

What say ye all to the below -- should I try to push 7.1 out with the
same soname into Sarge ASAP?

Take care,

--- Begin Message ---
On Sep 22, 2004, at 12:42 PM, Camm Maguire wrote:

>> No.  We never guarantee binary compatibility between LAM releases --
>> not even between 7.0.x releases.
>
> !!!!!  I'm hoping that the content of this hinges on the word
> 'guarantee'.  There is a whole lot of software in Debian and
> presumably other distributions which links against lam as a shared
> library.  Recompiling it all on 11 architectures will take weeks.
> Needless to say, such actions should be kept to a minimum.  Debian has
> been building lam as a shared lib for sometime, before lam had such a
> build option, and so came up with its own soname to define when binary
> incompatible changes force a global recompile.  Rightly or wrongly, we
> did this at 6.3->6.5, and 6.5->7.0.  I've been meaning to ask you if
> your lam shared lib option uses a soname scheme in a similar fashion.
> I haven't had time to look into it myself.

We should, but don't.  :-\  We were going to for 7.1, but got
sidetracked on other issues.

> In any case, I'd really hope that the soname wouldn't change with
> every release, but maybe it does.  'Guarantees' aside, is it *known*
> that binaries compiled against 7.0.6 will break against 7.1?  Might we
> have binary compatibility by good fortune with this particular
> transition?

We've actually *never* guaranteed binary compatibility between
releases.  We just don't have the time and resources do it,
unfortunately.  That being said, MPI applications *usually* will be ok
with the upgrades unless we make major changes to:

- mpi.h
- the inlined C++ bindings
- lam_config.h

These are the only entry points for user applications that need to map
correctly onto the back-end LAM libraries.

I don't *think* that we changed enough in these files to cause a
problem between 7.0.x and 7.1, but I know offhand for sure.  You would
have to try it to know.  :-\

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} jsquyres@lam-mpi.org