Re: Portmap help

Hi and sorry about the delay,

Banged my head against this a couple of times.  Then moved aside the
chroot, and rebuilt it from scratch (diskless-createbasetgz etc.), and
everything works perfectly!

Now it's straightforward to boot NFS-root from a stock non-NFS-root
Debian image.  No more building custom kernels for a diskless cluster.
And ttys seem to work (didn't under woody), so this can be used for
various types of clients beyond Beowulf nodes, e.g. user workstations.

I've put details on the Wiki:
http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?NFSRootInitrd

Zeen,
Adam

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 04:27, Peter Cordes wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 02:29:44PM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a little initrd script which runs:
> >
> > ifup -a
> > portmap
> > mount -n -o ro -t nfs $NFS_SERVER:/path/to/dir /dir
> >
> > But when this runs, I just get:
> >
> > mount: RPC: Program not registered
> >
> > I used to get this a while ago, then put in the portmap call and it ran
> > fine, then just in the last week or so it broke again.  Have there been
> > changes to sarge portmap and/or mount which might have broken this?
> > Would it help to add entries to /etc/hosts.allow?
>
>  Try running rpcinfo -p.  It should show something like
[snip]
-Adam P.

http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg