Re: RE: panel at ClusterWorld

[Apr 02. 2004] Damir Danijel Zagar wrote:
> Just one question ... a little bit off-topic.
>
> Why OpenPBS sucks when compared to SGE? What problems/arguments you
> have?

Short version:
OpenPBS regulary crached, SGE does not.

Longer version:
We used the openpbs scheduler which contacts the moms to get extra information to make
a more efficent sheduling. If a machines goes down between the server checks if it's up and the scheduler
requests it the scheduler will crache and no jobs will start.
Generally it felt like PBS wasn't very good at detecting downed machines. We had a problem with a switch so 1/3 of the cluster
"disapeard" on a regular basis...

My impression is also that SGE is being more activly developed, and it is the popular on the
biocluster@bioinformatics.org list...