Re: panel at ClusterWorld

On Sat, Mar 28, 2004 at 10:33:47PM -0700, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> I've agreed to represent Debian on a panel that's being put together by Jon
> "maddog" Hall at the upcoming ClusterWorld conference and expo in San Jose.
>
> During the discussion, I'd like to be able to reference actual clusters that
> are running Debian.  I know about a few, but...
>
> This is a request for information about your use of Debian on clusters!
>
> I'd like to know what your cluster is used for, why you picked Debian and
> whether you still think it was a good choice, and any particularly significant
> results you have achieved or things you have learned that are worthy of report.

Undergraduate Supercomputing Initiative:

http://www.baldric.uwo.ca/

Cluster:

	- 32x HPPA systems
	- 16x PowerPC systems for tinkering.
	- 14x HPPA systems running with the cluster but not an active part.
	-  4x Baystack 10/100 managed switches in a stack configuration.
	-  2x i386 systems for tseting.
	-  2x Alpha 1000/233 system for testing.
	-  2x Sparc 32-bit systems for testing.
	-  1x SMP i686 system for cross-compiling.
	-  1x HPPA C3K system as master node, and 140GB's of NFS storage
	      for home spaces.

	99% of these systems run unstable debian. On occasion we test
	other clustering distros.

Images:

http://www.baldric.uwo.ca/article.php3?section=baldric&article=Pictures

Feel free to use these in your presentations!

Projects:

	- Currently all educational.
	- Showing people how to use a cluster.
		= MPI programming.
	- Introducing first years to UNIX.
	- IEEE Technical Talks about how networking works in
	  the context of clustered systems.

Why use debian:

	- deboostrap makes image creation easy.
	- package maintenance is much lower than any other distro
	- apt-proxy server allows package updates without exposing
	  the cluster to external networks, lessens network load too.
	- small install image, most of the donated systems only had
	  500MB scsi disks.
	- It was the only distro supporting hppa, who else supports
	  so many different hardware platforms? It makes producing
	  heterogeneous hardware clusters much easier when the software
	  platform is homogeneous over a long period of time!
		= You can't say the same for other distros...

Was debian a good choice?

	- Yes, for the reasons listed above.

Did we learn anything?

	- Clusters are fun.
	- Debian is fun.
	- Linux is fun.
	- I did mention this project is educational in nature?

Historical Information (1999)

	- The first cluster to run at the University of Western Ontario
	  was started by Baldric, it was 16x PowerPC 604e 100MHz running
	  debian potato circa Winter 1999.

		= There is something odd here, I know potato was
		  released officially April 14, 2000. I'm sure that
		  that I was installing and running on PowerPC before
		  then.

	- http://www.baldric.uwo.ca/article.php3?section=baldric&article=knots
	  The initial prime alternating knot numbers were duplicated on
	  the PowerPC cluster.

Cheers,
Carlos.