Re: panel at ClusterWorld

On Saturday 27 March 2004 11:33 pm, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> I've agreed to represent Debian on a panel that's being put together by Jon
> "maddog" Hall at the upcoming ClusterWorld conference and expo in San Jose.
>
> During the discussion, I'd like to be able to reference actual clusters
> that are running Debian.  I know about a few, but...
>
> This is a request for information about your use of Debian on clusters!
>
> I'd like to know what your cluster is used for, why you picked Debian and
> whether you still think it was a good choice, and any particularly
> significant results you have achieved or things you have learned that are
> worthy of report.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Bdale

Well, this might not quite be what your looking for... but....

We have a very, very small cluster at my high school being used with POV-ray
to render some still images and animations the students in our computer club
are creating.  Some of the faculty are using it for a chemistry application
as well.  To my knowledge we are the only high school in the state of
Illinois to have such a cluster (but I can't guarantee that).

The cluster is running Debian Sarge, chosen primarily because of its package
management systems that outperform every other free (as in beer) distro.  I
was amazed at how simple Debian was to install and configure on our cluster
(a great deal simpler than RedHat, which we were trying to use for several
months.)

Because the cluster is running on older hardware (think PII's and a handful of
PIII's) any benchmark results probably wouldn't be of interest.  We have a
web page at <http://www.muncc.marmionacademy.org/> if you do happen to find
this interesting.