NFS root and initrd

Greetings,

I'm having trouble setting up an initrd for NFS root in a diskless
cluster.  I followed the instructions at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200109/msg00307.html but it seems it can't load the networking modules.  I get errors like

modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-9

And then, of course, it can't do the NFS mount, let alone the
pivot_root.  I know net-pf-9 is appletalk, but that module is in the
initrd, and is not mentioned as relating to the net driver in
modules.dep.

We also have an ext2 initrd which works for a different cluster, and
when I substitute the new cluster's net driver module (and other
parameters), I get similar errors.  What's annoying is that the keyboard
is inactive, so I can't get a shell, and can't page-up to see all of
what happened...

Any ideas?
--
-Adam P.