PVM package on debian

So I was looking at the PVM package on debian, it's pretty old.  The
patch:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pvm/pvm_3.4.2-8.1.diff.gz

applies relatively cleanly to 3.4.4.  There is somethings that need
cleaned up, but it looks pretty good.

However there was some security fixes related to the PVM temp files,
like:

 #ifdef SHAREDTMP
+#ifndef SAFETMP
 #define        TDSOCKNAME      "/tmp/pvmd.%d.%s"
+#else /* SAFETMP */
+#define        TDSOCKNAME      PVMTMPDIR "/sock.%s"
+#endif /* SAFETMP */
 #else
+#ifndef SAFETMP
 #define        TDSOCKNAME      "/tmp/pvmd.%d"
+#else /* SAFETMP */
+#define        TDSOCKNAME      PVMTMPDIR "/sock"
+#endif /* SAFETMP */
 #endif

It is this entirely necessary?  And does this /sock directory allowed in
the Debian Policy?  I couldn't exactly tell how this was going to be
implemented to be any safer than /tmp since it generates a tmp file for
each person.  Aren't you pretty much safe from /tmp races if you make
/tmp it's own filesystem?

--
Dale Harris
rodmur@maybe.org