Re: Location of a howto...

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 10:04:46PM +0100, Neil Stone wrote:
> Can anyone point me to a good howto on setting up a linux cluster, I
> intend to use identical hardware for all of the nodes, but i need them
> to be diskless. DHCP/TFTP/PXE etc...
>
> I would like to setup a super computer with distributed processing, and
> essentially the ability to plug more nodes in and get higher throughput.

 You might want to look at openMosix: http://openmosix.sf.net/.  It has an
autodiscovery daemon that can detect and migrate jobs to new nodes when they
are connected.  Be warned that if a node shuts down uncleanly, anything
migrated to it will be lost.

 A recent post on the openmosix-devel mailing list was an openMosix patch
for 2.4.22, which I'm using successfully.  Get it from
http://tab.tuxfamily.org/download/openmosix/patch-2.4.22-om-20030825.bz2
The user-space tools .deb you can download from the openmosix site is for
unstable.  Some of the programs work on woody, but some (e.g. mtop) need
glibc 2.3.  Compiling from source looks like the way to go for woody, since
the packages in the debian archive are way out of date[1].

 The oM docs say to compile with gcc-2.95, not gcc-3.x, so to be safe maybe
you should do that.  The process migration bit is quite stable, but the oMFS
bit (a cluster filesystem that lets you mount all filesystems from all nodes
on every node) isn't totally stable, but is ok.  If you're running diskless,
oMFS might not even be that useful.

 Also, there are supposed to be openMosix patches for mpich, to integrate
them like "bread and peanut butter" IIRC :).  Haven't got around to trying
that yet.

[1] What's the status of the openMosix package in Debian?  I saw some
traffic about someone wanting to adopt the packages, but did that fall
through?  If so, I'd like to take them on.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)