Re: quick question

> okay, i looked at the package listings (debian.org/distrib/packages) and
> couldn't even find a 2.4.17 kernel.  what gives?  i looked in all 3
> categories, stable, testing and unstable, and all i found was 16 and 18?
>
> why would apt-get give me a 2.4.17 kernel patch if i can't even get a 2.4.17
> debian kernel?
>
> very confused...

I'm a fanatical Debian user, but there is one thing I never use a Debian
package for: compiling the kernel. This is the one case where it pays to
get your hands dirty. So my advice is this: follow the link to the kernel
compilation walk-through already sent in another reply, go to the kernel
site ftp.kernel.org and get your own pristine tarball. Apply any patches
you must and compile it from scratch yourself. It is not so difficult, it
is very instructive, and it is fun... Believe me, I'm no hacker, but I do
this regularly and it always works... |:-)
							Cheers,

        Jorge L. deLyra,  Associate Professor of Physics
            The University of Sao Paulo,  IFUSP-DFMA
       For more information: finger delyra@latt.if.usp.br