Re: date synchronization

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Pavel Jurus wrote:

> I didn't have any problems with unsychronized dates but I'm not sure if
> such things like files created in future etc. couldn't be source of some
> nasty bugs. I'm not sure whether running ntp server on master and ntp
> synchronization on nodes is appropriate solution (maybe it is too heavy
> weight), other possibility is installing rdate and adding simple
> start-up and cron scripts. However I don't want to reinvent the wheel
> and I would like to hear how other people solve this problem.

Don't throw out ntp out of bandwidth concerns.  It automatically
throttles back to one connection every 1024s (20 mins) by default.  And
it's udp, so there isn't even the usual TCP overhead.  Of course, it
might be overkill in terms of difficulty of setting up, or accuracy it
provides....

Damian Menscher
--
-=#| Physics Grad Student & SysAdmin @ U Illinois Urbana-Champaign |#=-
-=#| 488 LLP, 1110 W. Green St, Urbana, IL 61801 Ofc:(217)333-0038 |#=-