Re: rsh as root

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Pavel Jurus wrote:

> I am playing with small cluster, the number of nodes is increasing however
> and I just started to solve task of logging automatically to each node (or
> selected list) to reboot or shutdown machine. To do this in script I need
> to use rsh as root without password, but I haven't figured out how to do
> it in Debian the right way. /etc/hosts.equiv doesn't help and I suspect
> it is disabled by pam configuration because it is of course huge security
> hole in normal settings.
>
> Could you please tell me "your way" of rebooting via script or give me some
> hints how to configure pam (it is in /etc/pam.d/rsh is suppose but I'm
> newbie to pam)?

I just added a .rhosts file for root and modified the file
/etc/lam.d/rlogin swaping the two first line so it reads:

auth            sufficient      pam_rhosts_auth.so
auth            requisite       pam_securetty.so
auth            required        pam_unix.so nullok
auth            required        pam_nologin.so
account         required        pam_unix.so
password        required        pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok obscure \
                                            min=4 max=8
session         required        pam_unix.s

That works for me, but i don't know if there is a better or more elegant
solution.

Xavier