Re: debconf and cluster management

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

>  > >  That'd be the non-interactive front-end.
>  >
>  > I think you misunderstood what I was after.  I know the non-interactive
>  > front-end, and it's what gets used at present.  What I wanted was some way
>  > to say 'OK, ask me the questions from these packages and then give me the
>  > debconf data (stored in some remote database, preferably) to use on other
>  > machines - but without screwing with the config the local machine.'
>
>  I see.  Yes, that'd be something for debconf-utils.  And yes, it'd be
>  useful.

Highly useful.  It's on my todo list, although I did hack something up by
using a .debconfrc and a custom templates file.  Didn't seem too bad.

>  > This is what I want, but without needing to configure an actual,
>  > live, running machine.  Basically, I want a way to get asked all the
>  > questions and store the answers somewhere without touching the
>  > machine the program is running on.
>
>  Well, that'd work for the pre-installation phase, but there are
>  postinst scripts using debconf in a sort of interactive way (those that
>  stop in the middle of an install run and pop a debconf dialog up).
>  Those make questions based on the current configuration of the machine,
>  so I'm not sure how that would work.

They're buggy, I think.  The .config script should work all that out, which
is done at config time, not install time.  The whole point of debconf was to
prevent having to answer questions in the middle of an install, so popping
up a debconf window in the middle of everything seems a bit screwed up.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer
mjp16@ieee.uow.edu.au