Re: diskless cluster

> It has been my experience that you can always get discontinued cards
> (mostly pulls) from the "Not Exactly" section on Pricewatch... considering
> that they are about half-price... you can tolerate the occasional PCI shunt.

The 3C905C is discontinued, the 3C905CX is not. They're the same price.

> But Realtek-based cards are still cheaper new. And like almost everything
> in the Beowulf business, more of cheaper trumps fewer of better. I am
> etherbooting off of my Realteks (onboard the ECS K7SEM).

Well, up to a point. You got to benchmark things carefully in order to
know whether to go one way or the other.

> Do you have a PXE Boot Agent (or equivalent) in your BIOS?

The 3C905CX comes with a 3COM boot agent, which we exchange for Etherboot.
We do not use anything in the bios of the motherboard, just the Etherboot
image in the boot prom of the card.
							Cheers,

        Jorge L. deLyra,  Associate Professor of Physics
            The University of Sao Paulo,  IFUSP-DFMA
       For more information: finger delyra@latt.if.usp.br