Re: debconf and cluster management

>> Matthew Palmer <mjp16@ieee.uow.edu.au> writes:

 > Joey said he's only got local file (etc) DBs done.

 Oh, I misremembered indeed then.

 > I got the impression that no work has been done on remote databases,
 > because I've volunteered to write them (at least the LDAP one at this
 > stage - SQL when I can think up a reasonably sane table structure).

 I would hazard guessing that one database, one table per package should
 do it.  Or better said, one table per configuration group/entity.  I
 really don't remember the specification, but I *think* this would allow
 for a nice trick: store the configuration with an id an have a
 "snapshot" table, in other words, all the configurations with a given
 id are time-coherent.  Then you could *theoretically* roll back the
 configuration.  It's just an idea and I made it up on the spot, but
 sounds neat if it could be implemented.

 > >  That'd be the non-interactive front-end.
 >
 > I think you misunderstood what I was after.  I know the non-interactive
 > front-end, and it's what gets used at present.  What I wanted was some way
 > to say 'OK, ask me the questions from these packages and then give me the
 > debconf data (stored in some remote database, preferably) to use on other
 > machines - but without screwing with the config the local machine.'

 I see.  Yes, that'd be something for debconf-utils.  And yes, it'd be
 useful.

 > This is what I want, but without needing to configure an actual,
 > live, running machine.  Basically, I want a way to get asked all the
 > questions and store the answers somewhere without touching the
 > machine the program is running on.

 Well, that'd work for the pre-installation phase, but there are
 postinst scripts using debconf in a sort of interactive way (those that
 stop in the middle of an install run and pop a debconf dialog up).
 Those make questions based on the current configuration of the machine,
 so I'm not sure how that would work.

--
Marcelo