Re: How do tasks work now?

>> Randolph Chung <tausq@debian.org> writes:

 > There are three ways to create tasks.

 Unless I'm missing something, I see only two:

 > On startup, the tasksel program will read
 > /usr/share/tasksel/debian-tasks.desc for information about what tasks
 > are available and their descriptions and sections.

 One.

 Entries on that file look like this:

    Task: chinese-s
    Section: l10n
     This task installs programs, data files, fonts, and
     documentation that makes it easier to use Debian for
     Simplified-Chinese-related operations.

 so I guess this is only the task's description and it doesn't contain
 information about which packages belong to a task...

 > Next it will read /var/lib/dpkg/available. Task: fields in that file
 > can be used to state that a package belongs to a task or tasks.

 ... which is provided here.  Now that's my question.  How does the Task
 field get there "officially".  Just get people to agree with each other
 on a task name and add it to each package's debian/control or does one
 have to contact the bf team first to "sanction" the task or is there an
 override file for this or what?  Obviously you have to contact the bf
 anyway to get the description included in debian-tasks.desc ...  Are
 there guidelines for what's a task and what's not?

 > Also, the package names are used to identify task packages (matching
 > "task-*").

 And two.

--
Marcelo             | "Idiot I may be, but tied up I ain't."
mmagallo@debian.org |         -- Gaspode the wonder dog