Re: How do tasks work now?

>  I'm having trouble finding documentation for the task system.  Looking
>  at the available file on my machine, I see some packages include a
>  'Task:' field.  Is this something each maintainer has to add to the
>  control file or is it managed using an override file?  Are there

There are three ways to create tasks. they are described in a README file
in the tasksel source. Quoting here:

===========================
On startup, the tasksel program will read
/usr/share/tasksel/debian-tasks.desc for information about what tasks are
available and their descriptions and sections. Next it will read
/var/lib/dpkg/available. Task: fields in that file can be used to state
that a package belongs to a task or tasks. Also, the package names are used
to identify task packages (matching "task-*").
===========================

The task-* package name method for producing tasks is deprecated and
should not be used for woody.

The central debian-tasks.desc file is provided by the tasksel package
and is maintained mostly by the debian boot-floppies team (please mail
debian-boot@l.d.o for modification requests.)

Apologies for the delay in replying..  I've been busy and this thread
seems to be slipped through the cracks.

randolph
--
Debian Developer <tausq@debian.org>