Re: PETSc Debian package switch to lam?

>> Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> writes:

 > Myrinet is coming very rapidly, and I think myrinet should be
 > considered.  Well, that's my personal impression. (We have a cluster
 > with myrinet here).

 Yup.  Look at http://clusters.top500.org/ and play with the database
 queries.  Some not so large clusters (32 nodes) are using either
 Myrinet or Myrinet 2000.  The MPI implementation is either MPICH/GM or
 SCore.  I dunno about GM's freeness.  SCore is "almost" there (dunno
 about PM), it has some nasty attribution clauses[1] which push it to
 the non-free side[2].  Searching on the web I found some benchmarks
 which suggests MPICH/GM doesn't perform that well.  The SCore
 implementation we have (Myrinet, 32bit, 33MHz) achieves 90 MB/s
 according to my own benchmarks.  The newest one on Myrinet
 2000/64bit/33MHz reaches 140 MB/s using the same benchmark.  For some
 applications this makes sense.

[1] I don't have a problem with attribution clauses.  I do have a
problem with those that say that you *must* mention you use someone's
products on your papers.  The other problem with SCore's license is that
"you *must* report bugs to RWCP".

[2] this was bad timing on my part: I just read SCore's license, I
didn't know they distributed source, and just last week I was talking
with Real World Computing's chief.

--
Marcelo             | "If you put butter and salt on it, it tastes like salty
mmagallo@debian.org | butter."