Re: MOSIX for progeny

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 02:34:11PM -0700, christianlavoie@nupedia.com wrote:
:>I'd suggest diverting /etc/init.d/rc and have it prepend 'mosrun -h'
:>to all of its start calls, and possibly make this a configure time
:>option (default perhaps) rather than just what's done.  It's
:>impossible to predict what deamons are critical in all situations,
:and
:>this way only one file needs diverting.
:
:That's indeed a nice idea. Anything installed in daemon space is
:local, anything run from somewhere else isn't. Just a question, how
:do you make daemons migratable? (In case of, say, apache fork()s)

Hmmm. that is a tangle.

I did a little testing with nested mosrun's

"mosrun -h" locks a process to the home node as expected
"mosrun -h mosrun -l" starts it on the home node but allows migration.

So for a load balancing webserver config you could prepend "mosrun -l"
to the server startup in /etc/init.d/apache.  Am I wrong in thinking
that this is a confile and the packagemanagement system won't stomp
changes without asking?

So while the rc suggestion doesn't cover all possibilities (I don't
think anything can), it doesn't prevent this level of granularity.

-Jon