Re: MOSIX for progeny

>I haven't used progeny yet, but I thought they do rename some packages. Could

Some packages, but not this one... see below.

>this be an issue ? Some people have tried the debs on debian-beowulf, and they
>work fine.  The dependency on libc6 2.3.1 is a bit too harsh, and I believe
>it would work with older libcs too.

Progeny:

ii  libc6          2.2.1-1        GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone
ii  libc6-dev      2.2.1-1        GNU C Library: Development Libraries and Hea

[snip]

>I could do that, but it doesn't sound like too good an idea. The mosix
>packages are Priority: extra anyways. Mosix is going to be used by *very*
>few people, and getting core packages to recognise the changes it makes
>doesn't sound like an idea that will be acceptable to most people.

The other alternative is to provide MOSIX-specific replacements for core packages, and that sounds even worse. (IMHO)

I maintain that the problem lies within the way config files are handled in the first place. I ask you: Could you forward the original e-mail with config file generation idea included to this list? (I've lost my own copy)

Thanx in advance,
Christian Lavoie
clavoi14@po-box.mcgill.ca
christianlavoie@nupedia.com