Re: MOSIX for progeny

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 06:03:44AM -0700, christianlavoie@nupedia.com wrote:
> >> I'm trying to install MOSIX on a home cluster right now, and cannot
> >> use your packages (progeny installation).
> >
> >Why don't the packages work on progeny ? Can you send me the exact error
>
> Version conflict with (amongst a few others) libc6.

I haven't used progeny yet, but I thought they do rename some packages. Could
this be an issue ? Some people have tried the debs on debian-beowulf, and they
work fine.  The dependency on libc6 2.3.1 is a bit too harsh, and I believe
it would work with older libcs too.

> I think a script that parses the relevant file and prepends mosrun -h
> where applicable would be the only solution. The problem lies in
> the Debian way to do things (not that its really a bug, but rather
> that MOSIX reqs are exotic enough to fall out of the Debian Way
> writers' planning): You shouldn't modify files that you don't own
> (package-wise) other than thru provided scripts. The /etc/inittab
> owning package is not providing a MOSIX interface, and is not of
> much help right now.

> You could either fill a bug to the relevant package and try to get
> the maintainer to add MOSIX-specific scripts that ensure the package
> is up to date with latest MOSIX-way, or try ot figure out a kludge
> that updates everything... and hopes that the said scripts will not
> have to face new versions of config files.

I could do that, but it doesn't sound like too good an idea. The mosix
packages are Priority: extra anyways. Mosix is going to be used by *very*
few people, and getting core packages to recognise the changes it makes
doesn't sound like an idea that will be acceptable to most people.

viral

--
For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide,
And balanced on the biggest wave, you race towards an early grave.