Re: Documentation.

This is a good point, we've had a lot of people ask "I'd like to do Beowulf, where do I start?" I wonder if a "getting started" or "HOWTO" document would be helpful...

Here are some first steps (assuming you already know how to install Debian):

   * Install rsh-client and rsh-server, and edit /etc/hosts.equiv on
     each machine, adding each machine's name so you can rsh from
     everywhere to everywhere.  Oh- and make sure those are in
     /etc/hosts with their IP addresses!  Test with something like "rsh
     hostname ls".  Take note of the security implications of running
     rsh (e.g. you might want to isolate the network where you're doing
     this).  Also, I think ssh moves rsh out of the way, which is a
     pain...
   * For MPI, install mpich and/or lam everywhere.  Edit
     /etc/mpich/machines.LINUX and/or /etc/lam/bhost.def (bhost.lam?)
     to add the machine names so mpich/lam knows what's in the
     cluster.  With lam, "man lamboot" and act accordingly.

I don't use PVM, so I can't suggest an entry there.

The next step beyond this depends on what you're trying to do with the cluster. If that's "solving PDEs" (e.g. fluid dynamics, heat/mass transfer, phase field), then I'd suggest:

   * Install petsc-examples, "cp -a
     /usr/share/doc/petsc-examples/examples .; cd examples; make
     PETSC_DIR=/usr/lib/petsc PETSC_ARCH=`petscarch` BOPT=O
     testexamples", preferably in an NFS directory mounted on all of
     the machines.  This will build and run all of the test and
     tutorial programs, running many of them in parallel.  Edit the
     tutorials to suit your needs, and you're done.  (Note that the
     finite difference stuff works well, but finite elements are still
     primitive with PETSc; hopefully ParMETIS will get into woody so we
     can do dynamic mesh repartitioning in parallel... :-)

For monitoring:

   * Install jmon everywhere, edit ~/jmonrc to add all of the machines
     in your cluster, run jmon and watch the pretty performance bars.

Other entries anyone? Diskless? FAI? Mosix? Molecular dynamics/first principles? Is a single document of this type really a useful thing?

Zeen,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>