OpenGL and clusters?

Hi,

right off the bat let me say I don't grok GL...

But I have a number of users developing interactive visualization apps
that are heavy on GL, mostly medical imaging stuff.

Anyone have experience or pointers on using a cluster with this type
of app?

Seems like a big looser in my current config.  WireGL and Chromium
look interesting but almost exclusively targeted at tiled displays
with some memory leaky code geared toward distributed rendering to a
single display.

Is what I want possible or is OpenGL inherently limmited by the
capabilities of the machine the display is connected to?

-Jon