Re: the benifits

Matt Fair <matt@netasolnetworks.com> immo vero scripsit

> I was thinking, if you were to have 2 100 MHZ computers, would it
> perform just as good as a 200 MHZ, or is there performance increase due
> to having multiple processors?

Usually, it is not like having more processors is a great advantage.
Having more memory space and having more hard disk seems to be
an advantage.

Usually, having 2 100MHz computers will result in something along the line
of double-speed, however, having 10, 20, or 30 computers doesn't result
in such a speed increase (increasing linearly is usually not possible).

However, depending on your problem, and how to tackle it,
it is sometime possible to achieve linear, or almost linear speed improvement.

>  On a large scale, would it be worth
> having 200 100 MHZ computers, or would I just be wasting floor space and
> should get a better processor to use in a cluster?

If you are going to investigate some parallel algorithm, and you want to
know if things do scale up, that would be an interesting object to use,
however, if your objective is to use the computational power (you are a
computer user), instead of trying to obtain an algorithm that can use it
(you are doing parallel computing in C/S), I would not recommend such
set up.

> I have not put together any clusters before, but I was just wondering if
> people have thought about this and tested it.

If you are new to this world, and want to get some fast computers, I would
recommend getting the fastest machine available, and putting together some
of them, rather than putting together many machines that are slower.

The less number you have, the easier it is to maintain, and set up.

I hope it helps.

regards,
	junichi

--