Re: new to clustering

Kurt Keville wrote:

At 07:10 PM 7/4/01 -0700, you wrote:
what recomendations do you have for some one who would like to cluster two
computers? I've glanced through the beowulf how to. Is there anything

"Debian

specific" I should be aware of? I should add I've never done any clustering
before. Thanks to  all.

Dan

Well, if you can wait a couple of weeks we are rewriting the ClusterFAQ at
http://www.spindl3top.org/index.php?ClusteringIntroduction. that will be
specifically targeted at Debian installs. But there are Linux Gatewaying
HOWTOs
at http://www.kalamazoolinux.org/presentations/20010417/nat/NAT-HOWTO.html and
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO.html... these may be of some
help if you just want to directly connect 2 machines via a crossover cable...

IP Masquerading on Debian is actually a ton easier than that document would suggest. Just install the ipmasq package, and you're basically up and running with a very conservative firewall. It automatically detects which of your interfaces is to the outside world (it even does this with each PPP connect/disconnect!), and configures itself accordingly. A nice piece of work.

To take advantage of such Debianisms, I made a little Debian Beowulf howto at http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/debian-howto/ . It's very incomplete, and will probably be folded into something more comprehensive like the Debian Documentation Project network admin guide (linked from the Debian homepage), or the Debian Planet HOWTOs.

Zeen,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>