Re: Modifying Debian for Infrastructures--Step 1

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 10:46:55PM +0100, Bud P. Bruegger wrote:
> I have some doubts that this works in the general case for multiple
> versions--even if I rename the files to avoid name conflicts.  The reason
> for my doubts is that one program section could call another and won't be
> aware of the renameing (and thus it will break).  Any idea on this?

Hmm.. seems to me that for each combination of package versions you'd
have to set up an appropriate symlink forest.

Note that I'm imagining that you'll create appropriate directories to hold
these symlinks, then run dpkg --configure --pending with an appropriate
starting database in /var/lib/dpkg/.  [This last means digging into dpkg
internals, which means that if you want your work to last across eventual
dpkg rewrites you'll probably want to document what you're doing so that
decent interfaces can be set up for future use.]

Not that I've not looked at the dpkg code to determine if it tries to be
"smart" about symlinks in a way that would interfere with this approach.

--
Raul