Re: kickstart equivalent

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Rob Latham wrote:

> Is anyone out there working on a way to install debian onto a machine
> by creating one boot floppy?

At work, I have a small cluster running (1 frontend and 6 nodes now, 12
after xmas). The way we do it, is the following:

* On the frontend we have installed PXELINUX (part of SYSLINUX) and
  the diskless packages. We have a NFS rootFS kernel and a "local" kernel
  for the nodes on the frontend
* We have installed one node by hand and create a tarball of / (basically,
  it's a minimal Debian installation)
* For installation of a new nodes, we boot the node using the NFS rootFS
  kernel, and run a homemade script. The script partitions the disks,
  makes file systems (RAID, ReiserFS, swap, etc.) and untar the base
  system from the tarball
* Now we can reboot the node using the kernel with support for local root
  fs

Installation of 5 nodes takes about 15 minutes!

Kneth

Kenneth Geisshirt, Ph.D.                           kneth@sslug.dk
Grøndals Parkvej 2A, 3.               http://www.sslug.dk/~kneth/
DK-2720 Vanløse                                   +45 38 87 78 38
Am I the CEO of a motor company, or am I building wireless,
mobile consumer services? - Jacques Nasser, CEO of Ford