Re: Queuing System for Parallel Clusters

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 03:56:08PM +0200, Thimo Neubauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we are running a 80PC cluster and we plan to use some sort of queuing
> system to run the parallel programs. What are the known free systems
> and what are your experiences?

   The packaged ones are GNU queue and DQS.  Two others that aren't packaged
but should be are GNQS and PBS.
   DQS is most suited to COWs and NOWs, supports both serial and parallel
jobs, and allows the workstation owner to suspend batch jobs when the
mouse/keyboard are in use.  Scheduling can be simple or moderately complex
using queue complexes and -l selectors.  (For instance, I put two queues on
each machine, one subordinating the other to allow very long serial jobs to
get out of the way of faster parallel or serial jobs.  Selectors are used to
handle multiple architectures, operating systems, available memory, etc).
   queue is non-standard (no qsub,qdel), but allows interactive jobs to be
farmed out.  Scheduling looks very simple.
   GNQS is more suited to SMP (particularly large SMP) systems, and didn't
look capable of running parallel jobs on non-single-system-image hosts.
   Not sure where PBS fits into the picture, but many people use it on
homogenous headless beowulfs.

> The second question is, if anyone on this list already used the
> SCore-system? Does it work with Debian? Is anyone packaging it?

   No idea.