Re: MPICH 1.2 performance

In Wed, 2 Aug 2000 22:24:39 +0530 viral@seul.org cum veritate scripsit :

> I think the conflict is mainly because, both lam and mpich need
> /usr/include/mpi
>
> removing lam2-dev would remove /usr/include/mpi and hence mpich installs
> fine then.

How do you update alternatives?

I did update-alternatives --config mpi, but
that only updates the symlinks to /usr/include/mpi.

lam has includes in /usr/include/lam, and mpich has /usr/lib/mpich/include/,
and usr/include/mpi is only a symbolic link (try "ls -ld /usr/include/mpi ")

Reading "man update-alternatives" I'm starting to realize that
alternatives system is not what I expected.

"update-alternatives --config mpi", and choosing mpich only updates the
master link (usr/include/mpi) and not the slave links (mpicc, etc.). This doesn't
sound quite right...

uekawa:/etc/alternatives# file mpif77.1.gz mpiCC.1.gz mpicc.1.gz mpif77 mpiCC mpicc libmpi.a mpi
mpif77.1.gz: symbolic link to /usr/share/man/man1/mpif77_lam.1.gz
mpiCC.1.gz:  symbolic link to /usr/share/man/man1/mpiCC_lam.1.gz
mpicc.1.gz:  symbolic link to /usr/share/man/man1/mpicc_lam.1.gz
mpif77:      symbolic link to /usr/bin/mpif77_lam
mpiCC:       symbolic link to /usr/bin/mpiCC_lam
mpicc:       symbolic link to /usr/bin/mpicc_lam
libmpi.a:    symbolic link to /usr/lib/liblam.a
mpi:         symbolic link to /usr/lib/mpich/include

Now, the question is :
is a user of update-alternatives supposed to update-alternative --config
every slave link to make a working system of mpich with lam installed?

regards,
	junichi

--
University: ti0113@mail4.doshisha.ac.jp    Netfort: dancer@netfort.gr.jp