Re: Why do the mpi packages depend on rsh, etc?

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 02:45:20PM +0000, Jose Marin wrote:
> On 3 Mar 2000, Camm Maguire wrote:

> > Greetings!  I don't know about mpich, but lam does have support for
> > using ssh in place of rsh.  The problem is is that the default is a
> > compile time option, which can optionally be over-ridden at run-time.

> Oh, I see. Thanks!  Yes, it seems that the easiest thing to do is install
> the rsh packages and then de-activate them.

MPICH is hard-coded to use /usr/bin/rsh, although it is not particularly
concerned about what's there and could probably be modified relatively
easily.  It's certainly trivial to do at compile time.  As far as I
remember, the upstream authors take the view that the performance of ssh
is such that you probably don't want to use it in HPC applications.

ISTR that ssh can speak rsh so it should probably be providing an
alternative for rsh.  If you don't use rsh but need it to satisfy
dependancies you could use equivs to generate a null package.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/