Re: Interested in Debian Bazel efforts

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 4:50 AM Yun Peng <pcloudy@google.com> wrote:

> Maybe Olek can give more insights.  Though, in my opinion, it would be challenging to implement this for all kinds of package managers. Or we can simply track the files used by the compiler? Don't Bazel projects use libc of system? How would Bazel handle a libc/libstdc++ update right now?

That's a good point. The libc version change isn't detected by Bazel, either. Which does require users to run bazel clean sometimes. I guess we can start with the approach of using -L, -I flags first, then try to improve hermeticity later.

This system would work very well in Debian (and Debian-based Linux distros) but I'm not sure how you could extend it to other operating systems. Other Linuxes would probably be doable, maybe MacOS, but messing with the Windows registry would be a PITA. (I'm assuming that's where Windows keeps a list of installed files) Unless this is just an experimental feature for Debian-based distros only (since that's both easy and useful) and could be extended in the future if there's a demand.