Re: Interested in Debian Bazel efforts

Hi Jesse,

In my view, distrib_* macros are only used to switch between building from source and building against system libraries. I expect many Bazel users would still like to have their dependencies built from source by default, because that makes the build hermetic and reproducible. However, we should provide an easy way to switch to using system libraries. The proposed rule that parses the .pc file indeed will be very helpful, we can maybe call it something like sys_cc_library.

I just checked the zlib.pc, it only contains the directories of the headers and libs, not the list of files. This should work, but isn't ideal for Bazel. Because if we only pass -L -I options, Bazel won't notice any change and rebuild when zlib gets updated. It's better to declare the headers and libs explicitly.
Is there any way we can get the full list of files, something like https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/zlib1g-dev/filelist

> The new dependency system looks very promising. IMO it deals with the
most annoying problems of Bazel. I hope that it can be implemented soon.

Working hard on that!

Cheers,
Yun

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 1:58 AM Jesse Chan <jc@linux.com> wrote:
Hi Yun,

pkgconfig is supported by autotools and CMake. Ideally, we can have a
`distrib_cc_library` that has only one required argument, `name`. For
instance, when it is `zlib`, Bazel can parse
`/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/zlib.pc` to get necessary include
directories, cflags and lib paths. We have to write Bazel rules that
generate pc file, and we would want to have rules that install library
targets along with generated pc file (something like "make install", but
for Bazel).

The new dependency system looks very promising. IMO it deals with the
most annoying problems of Bazel. I hope that it can be implemented soon.

Thanks,

Jesse.