Re: Could sshguard be backported?

The main criteria are more or less:

+ If you only want to fix a bug the way to go is to fix the official package, not to introduce a Backport.
+ If the Backport breaks other packages or breaks tje upgrade to the next Debian Revision the Backport isn't a good idea.

In your case I guess a backport is a good idea if some volunteers to create one - and I agree with all mailing list members who answered here that you cannot have enough layers of security if you expose something to the internet.

If you want a backport
+ It is kind to first ask the package manager if a backport is already planned.
+ Sometimes if you ask here for a backport someone will volunteer.
+ If not you can subscribe here, create the Debian packaging files that create the backport package, upload them to Debian Mentors and ask here, if someone sponsors an upload of the package to the "new" queue for you. If you do so you automatically volunteer to maintain this backport until the next Debian release... ...and you have to read a lot of rules that apply to backports first.

There are many more rules for debian. Let's hope I didn't forget the most important parts...

Kind regards,

Gunter.