Re: Firmware and libva2 backports

Hi Roger,

A user has requested a bullseye backport of firmware-iwlwifi
(firmware-nonfree), and I'm wondering if you'd like to resume your work
for this release cycle.

Hi Sebastian, Brandon, and Reinhard,

Would any of you like to maintain a backport of the libdrm,
intel-vaapi-driver, and libva2 stack?  I'm a Multimedia Team member who
has maintained bpos of these in the past.  Also, please see my note
below and comment if that's something you don't want to see in the
package in sid (since dependencies should ideally be tightened in sid
rather than in bullseye-backports).

Vuk Mirovic <contact@vukmirovic.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Debian backports provide newer kernels but there are no newer firmware that should go hand-in-hand, I use Debian on somewhat new hardware and had to install newer kernel from backports,
> but I needed newer firmware as well (firmware-iwlwifi particularly) to fix instability with Intel Bluetooth and I did this by adding testing repo, it would be nice if testing firmware is available in
> backports as well.

I'll leave this one to someone else.

> Another thing that would be nice to have in backports is newer libva2 (and related packages libva-drm2, libva-wayland2, libva-x11-2). VAAPI hardware accelerated video decoding is not working in
> latest Chromium based browsers like Chrome, Brave with libva2 from stable, libva2 from testing works but it pulls libc upgrade and creates FrankenDebian.

I've done this one in past releases.  In addition to libva2, it needs
intel-vaapi-driver, and also libdrm.  Finally, I seem to remember that I
experienced graphics corruption on my system unless I tightened the
dependencies so that these three packages built against the versions in
backports rather than in stable.

Regards,
Nicholas