Re: Backports of newer Compilers (Clang/LLVM and GCC)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022, Gerion Entrup wrote:

> I wondered how this is handled in Debian Testing because Testing
> provides GCC 10 to 12 but install 11 by default, but I have seen that
> for example libgcc-s1 is provided only by GCC-12 there [1].

Yes, this is the idea: everything in testing/bookworm (and unstable/sid)
is built against the libgcc-s1 from GCC 12, even if it’s built with 11.

Backports would mix that further, and in untested ways: most packages
would be built within bullseye (i.e. both GCC and libgcc from GCC 10),
but some can be built against libraries from later versions.

Now libgcc is rather unproblematic but others _might_ be, whereas this
is tested or rebuilt, if it does not work, for the next release.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Infrastrukturexperte • tarent solutions GmbH
Am Dickobskreuz 10, D-53121 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/

/⁀\ The UTF-8 Ribbon
╲ ╱ Campaign against      Mit dem tarent-Newsletter nichts mehr verpassen:
 ╳  HTML eMail! Also,     https://www.tarent.de/newsletter
╱ ╲ header encryption!