Re: Backports of newer Compilers (Clang/LLVM and GCC)

Am Montag, 18. April 2022, 00:00:42 CEST schrieb Thorsten Glaser:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2022, Gerion Entrup wrote:
>
> > they are already present as parallel installable package in Debian
>
> Well, not exactly: there are support libraries like libgcc shared
> between compilers and always provided by the largest version you’re
> installing so you’d totally lose any and all support for basically
> anything you’re running on stable if you install a compiler whose
> libgcc etc. are newer than what’s shipped in stable.
>
> And not installing them would cause trouble with the newer compiler
> expecting things that are absent.
>
> This is basically the same as upgrading glibc: you’ll have to run
> testing/unstable if you want that.

Ok, then I understand that backporting is not that easy.
I only saw the gcc-{10..12} binary packages (and not the source packages).
Actually, most of the binary packages derived from source package of a
specific compiler version seem to be versioned but not all.

I wondered how this is handled in Debian Testing because Testing
provides GCC 10 to 12 but install 11 by default, but I have seen that
for example libgcc-s1 is provided only by GCC-12 there [1].

Regards,
Gerion

[1] https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/libgcc-s1