Re: How to Fix Error "The value 'buster-backports' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources"

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 9:26 AM Stuart Young <cefiar@gmail.com> wrote:
> The issue is what they're telling apt. That command line be:
>
> # apt -t bullseye-backports search linux-image-amd64
>
> The old command line actively tells apt to use buster-backports rather than bullseye-backports, so it will definitely fail if it's not in the apt sources.

Sorry, I pasted one of my debugging efforts. The command was due
tracking bullseye-backports, not buster-backport, this is the original
problem:

<code>
root:~# apt -t bullseye-backports search inkscape
E: The value 'bullseye-backports' is invalid for APT::Default-Release
as such a release is not available in the sources
E: The value 'bullseye-backports' is invalid for APT::Default-Release
as such a release is not available in the sources
</code>

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 8:49 AM Thorsten Glaser <t.glaser@tarent.de> wrote:

> You likely have that somewhere in /etc/apt.conf{,.d/*}.
> Best to remove it entirely from there.

Question 1: will it work if I remove all /var/lib/apt? I encountered
corrupted vim caches after dist-upgrade so I basically nuke the entire
caches in the user vim directory.

Question 2: For the config files, any specific pattern that we're
looking at? I did clean reinstall against "dpkg" and "apt" packages.
These config files are the current ones and mostly auto-generated and
are using variables. Attached below for each of the files to prevent
spamming the mailing list:

<code>
root:~# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00CDMountPoint
Acquire::cdrom {
  mount "/media/cdrom";
};
Dir::Media::MountPath "/media/cdrom";
</code>

<code>
root:~# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00trustcdrom
APT::Authentication::TrustCDROM "true";
</code>

<code>
root:~# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove
APT
{
  NeverAutoRemove
  {
        "^firmware-linux.*";
        "^linux-firmware$";
        "^linux-image-[a-z0-9]*$";
        "^linux-image-[a-z0-9]*-[a-z0-9]*$";
  };

  VersionedKernelPackages
  {
        # kernels
        "linux-.*";
        "kfreebsd-.*";
        "gnumach-.*";
        # (out-of-tree) modules
        ".*-modules";
        ".*-kernel";
  };

  Never-MarkAuto-Sections
  {
        "metapackages";
        "contrib/metapackages";
        "non-free/metapackages";
        "restricted/metapackages";
        "universe/metapackages";
        "multiverse/metapackages";
  };

  Move-Autobit-Sections
  {
        "oldlibs";
        "contrib/oldlibs";
        "non-free/oldlibs";
        "restricted/oldlibs";
        "universe/oldlibs";
        "multiverse/oldlibs";
  };
};
</code>

<code>
root:~# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove-kernels
// DO NOT EDIT! File autogenerated by /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal
APT::LastInstalledKernel "5.10.0-8-amd64";
</code>

<code>
root:~# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove-postgresql
// NO NOT EDIT!
// File maintained by /usr/share/postgresql-common/pg_updateaptconfig.
//
// Mark all PostgreSQL packages as NeverAutoRemove for which PostgreSQL
// clusters exist. This is especially important when the "postgresql" meta
// package changes its dependencies to a new version, which might otherwise
// trigger the old postgresql-NN package to be automatically removed, rendering
// the old database cluster inaccessible.

APT
{
  NeverAutoRemove
  {
    "^postgresql.*-11";
    "^postgresql.*-13";
  };
};
</code>

<code>
root:~# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades
APT::Periodic::Enable "1";
APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";
APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";
APT::Periodic::Verbose "3";
</code>

<code>
root:~# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20listchanges
DPkg::Pre-Install-Pkgs { "/usr/bin/apt-listchanges --apt || test $? -lt 10"; };
DPkg::Tools::Options::/usr/bin/apt-listchanges::Version "2";
DPkg::Tools::Options::/usr/bin/apt-listchanges::InfoFD "20";
Dir::Etc::apt-listchanges-main "listchanges.conf";
Dir::Etc::apt-listchanges-parts "listchanges.conf.d";
</code>

<code>
root:~# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20packagekit
// THIS FILE IS USED TO INFORM PACKAGEKIT
// THAT THE UPDATE-INFO MIGHT HAVE CHANGED

// Whenever dpkg is called we might have different updates
// i.e. if an user removes a package that had an update
DPkg::Post-Invoke {
"/usr/bin/test -e
/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.PackageKit.service
&& /usr/bin/test -S /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket && /usr/bin/gdbus
call --system --dest org.freedesktop.PackageKit --object-path
/org/freedesktop/PackageKit --timeout 4 --method
org.freedesktop.PackageKit.StateHasChanged cache-update > /dev/null;
/bin/echo > /dev/null";
};

// When Apt's cache is updated (i.e. apt-cache update)
APT::Update::Post-Invoke-Success {
"/usr/bin/test -e
/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.PackageKit.service
&& /usr/bin/test -S /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket && /usr/bin/gdbus
call --system --dest org.freedesktop.PackageKit --object-path
/org/freedesktop/PackageKit --timeout 4 --method
org.freedesktop.PackageKit.StateHasChanged cache-update > /dev/null;
/bin/echo > /dev/null";
};
</code>

<code>
root:~# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50apt-file.conf
## This file is provided by apt-file(1) to download Contents
## files, which is used by apt-file for searching.

Acquire::IndexTargets {
    deb::Contents-deb  {
        MetaKey "$(COMPONENT)/Contents-$(ARCHITECTURE)";
        ShortDescription "Contents-$(ARCHITECTURE)";
        Description "$(RELEASE)/$(COMPONENT) $(ARCHITECTURE) Contents (deb)";

        flatMetaKey "Contents-$(ARCHITECTURE)";
        flatDescription "$(RELEASE) Contents (deb)";
        PDiffs "true";
        KeepCompressed "true";
    };

    # Download Contents for source files if there is a deb-src
    # line
    deb-src::Contents-dsc  {
        MetaKey "$(COMPONENT)/Contents-source";
        ShortDescription "Contents-source";
        Description "$(RELEASE)/$(COMPONENT) source Contents (dsc)";

        flatMetaKey "Contents-source";
        flatDescription "$(RELEASE) Contents (dsc)";
        PDiffs "true";
        KeepCompressed "true";
        DefaultEnabled "false";
    };

    # Configuration for downloading Contents files for
    # debian-installer packages (udebs).
    deb::Contents-udeb  {
        MetaKey "$(COMPONENT)/Contents-udeb-$(ARCHITECTURE)";
        ShortDescription "Contents-udeb-$(ARCHITECTURE)";
        Description "$(RELEASE)/$(COMPONENT) $(ARCHITECTURE) Contents (udeb)";

        flatMetaKey "Contents-udeb-$(ARCHITECTURE)";
        flatDescription "$(RELEASE) Contents (udeb)";
        KeepCompressed "true";
        PDiffs "true";
        DefaultEnabled "false";
    };
    ### FALLBACKS
    deb::Contents-deb-legacy {
        MetaKey "Contents-$(ARCHITECTURE)";
        ShortDescription "Contents-$(ARCHITECTURE)";
        Description "$(RELEASE) $(ARCHITECTURE) Contents (deb)";

        PDiffs "true";
        KeepCompressed "true";
        Fallback-Of "Contents-deb";
        Identifier "Contents-deb";
    };
};
Dir::Etc::apt-file-main "apt-file.conf";
# Default for -I/--index-names (comma-separated)
apt-file::Index-Names "deb";
# Set to true, if you are working with Contents files generated by
# older versions of dak or reprepro (<< 5.2.0-1~) that includes a
# descriptive header.
apt-file::Parser::Check-For-Description-Header "false";
</code>

<code>
root:~# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50extract-templates
APT
{
  ExtractTemplates
  {
        TempDir "/var/local/tmp";
  };
};
</code>

<code>
root:~# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades
// Unattended-Upgrade::Origins-Pattern controls which packages are
// upgraded.
//
// Lines below have the format "keyword=value,...".  A
// package will be upgraded only if the values in its metadata match
// all the supplied keywords in a line.  (In other words, omitted
// keywords are wild cards.) The keywords originate from the Release
// file, but several aliases are accepted.  The accepted keywords are:
//   a,archive,suite (eg, "stable")
//   c,component     (eg, "main", "contrib", "non-free")
//   l,label         (eg, "Debian", "Debian-Security")
//   o,origin        (eg, "Debian", "Unofficial Multimedia Packages")
//   n,codename      (eg, "jessie", "jessie-updates")
//     site          (eg, "http.debian.net")
// The available values on the system are printed by the command
// "apt-cache policy", and can be debugged by running
// "unattended-upgrades -d" and looking at the log file.
//
// Within lines unattended-upgrades allows 2 macros whose values are
// derived from /etc/debian_version:
//   ${distro_id}            Installed origin.
//   ${distro_codename}      Installed codename (eg, "buster")
Unattended-Upgrade::Origins-Pattern {
        // Codename based matching:
        // This will follow the migration of a release through different
        // archives (e.g. from testing to stable and later oldstable).
        // Software will be the latest available for the named release,
        // but the Debian release itself will not be automatically upgraded.
//      "origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename}-updates";
//      "origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename}-proposed-updates";
        "origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename},label=Debian";
        "origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename},label=Debian-Security";
        "origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename}-security,label=Debian-Security";

        // Archive or Suite based matching:
        // Note that this will silently match a different release after
        // migration to the specified archive (e.g. testing becomes the
        // new stable).
//      "o=Debian,a=stable";
//      "o=Debian,a=stable-updates";
//      "o=Debian,a=proposed-updates";
//      "o=Debian Backports,a=${distro_codename}-backports,l=Debian Backports";
};

// Python regular expressions, matching packages to exclude from upgrading
Unattended-Upgrade::Package-Blacklist {
    // The following matches all packages starting with linux-
//  "linux-";

    // Use $ to explicitely define the end of a package name. Without
    // the $, "libc6" would match all of them.
//  "libc6$";
//  "libc6-dev$";
//  "libc6-i686$";

    // Special characters need escaping
//  "libstdc\+\+6$";

    // The following matches packages like xen-system-amd64, xen-utils-4.1,
    // xenstore-utils and libxenstore3.0
//  "(lib)?xen(store)?";

    // For more information about Python regular expressions, see
    // https://docs.python.org/3/howto/regex.html
};

// This option allows you to control if on a unclean dpkg exit
// unattended-upgrades will automatically run
//   dpkg --force-confold --configure -a
// The default is true, to ensure updates keep getting installed
//Unattended-Upgrade::AutoFixInterruptedDpkg "true";

// Split the upgrade into the smallest possible chunks so that
// they can be interrupted with SIGTERM. This makes the upgrade
// a bit slower but it has the benefit that shutdown while a upgrade
// is running is possible (with a small delay)
//Unattended-Upgrade::MinimalSteps "true";

// Install all updates when the machine is shutting down
// instead of doing it in the background while the machine is running.
// This will (obviously) make shutdown slower.
// Unattended-upgrades increases logind's InhibitDelayMaxSec to 30s.
// This allows more time for unattended-upgrades to shut down gracefully
// or even install a few packages in InstallOnShutdown mode, but is still a
// big step back from the 30 minutes allowed for InstallOnShutdown previously.
// Users enabling InstallOnShutdown mode are advised to increase
// InhibitDelayMaxSec even further, possibly to 30 minutes.
//Unattended-Upgrade::InstallOnShutdown "false";

// Send email to this address for problems or packages upgrades
// If empty or unset then no email is sent, make sure that you
// have a working mail setup on your system. A package that provides
// 'mailx' must be installed. E.g. "user@example.com"
//Unattended-Upgrade::Mail "";

// Set this value to one of:
//    "always", "only-on-error" or "on-change"
// If this is not set, then any legacy MailOnlyOnError (boolean) value
// is used to chose between "only-on-error" and "on-change"
//Unattended-Upgrade::MailReport "on-change";

// Remove unused automatically installed kernel-related packages
// (kernel images, kernel headers and kernel version locked tools).
//Unattended-Upgrade::Remove-Unused-Kernel-Packages "true";

// Do automatic removal of newly unused dependencies after the upgrade
//Unattended-Upgrade::Remove-New-Unused-Dependencies "true";

// Do automatic removal of unused packages after the upgrade
// (equivalent to apt-get autoremove)
//Unattended-Upgrade::Remove-Unused-Dependencies "false";

// Automatically reboot *WITHOUT CONFIRMATION* if
//  the file /var/run/reboot-required is found after the upgrade
//Unattended-Upgrade::Automatic-Reboot "false";

// Automatically reboot even if there are users currently logged in
// when Unattended-Upgrade::Automatic-Reboot is set to true
//Unattended-Upgrade::Automatic-Reboot-WithUsers "true";

// If automatic reboot is enabled and needed, reboot at the specific
// time instead of immediately
//  Default: "now"
//Unattended-Upgrade::Automatic-Reboot-Time "02:00";

// Use apt bandwidth limit feature, this example limits the download
// speed to 70kb/sec
//Acquire::http::Dl-Limit "70";

// Enable logging to syslog. Default is False
// Unattended-Upgrade::SyslogEnable "false";

// Specify syslog facility. Default is daemon
// Unattended-Upgrade::SyslogFacility "daemon";

// Download and install upgrades only on AC power
// (i.e. skip or gracefully stop updates on battery)
// Unattended-Upgrade::OnlyOnACPower "true";

// Download and install upgrades only on non-metered connection
// (i.e. skip or gracefully stop updates on a metered connection)
// Unattended-Upgrade::Skip-Updates-On-Metered-Connections "true";

// Verbose logging
// Unattended-Upgrade::Verbose "false";

// Print debugging information both in unattended-upgrades and
// in unattended-upgrade-shutdown
// Unattended-Upgrade::Debug "false";

// Allow package downgrade if Pin-Priority exceeds 1000
// Unattended-Upgrade::Allow-downgrade "false";

// When APT fails to mark a package to be upgraded or installed try adjusting
// candidates of related packages to help APT's resolver in finding a solution
// where the package can be upgraded or installed.
// This is a workaround until APT's resolver is fixed to always find a
// solution if it exists. (See Debian bug #711128.)
// The fallback is enabled by default, except on Debian's sid release because
// uninstallable packages are frequent there.
// Disabling the fallback speeds up unattended-upgrades when there are
// uninstallable packages at the expense of rarely keeping back packages which
// could be upgraded or installed.
// Unattended-Upgrade::Allow-APT-Mark-Fallback "true";
</code>

<code>
root:~# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf
// Pre-configure all packages with debconf before they are installed.
// If you don't like it, comment it out.
DPkg::Pre-Install-Pkgs {"/usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure --apt || true";};
</code>

Regards,
Kean Ho

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 9:26 AM Stuart Young <cefiar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 at 10:50, Thorsten Glaser <t.glaser@tarent.de> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 18 Aug 2021, Chew, Kean Ho wrote:
>>
>> > root:~# apt -t buster-backports search linux-image-amd64
>> > E: The value 'buster-backports' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as
>> > such a release is not available in the sources
>>
>> You likely have that somewhere in /etc/apt.conf{,.d/*}.
>> Best to remove it entirely from there.
>

> The issue is what they're telling apt. That command line be:
>
> # apt -t bullseye-backports search linux-image-amd64
>
> The old command line actively tells apt to use buster-backports rather than bullseye-backports, so it will definitely fail if it's not in the apt sources.
>
> --
> Stuart Young (aka Cefiar)

If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies. The sender holds zero liability for any damages caused. If the content is digitally and cryptographically signed/encrypted by GNU Privacy Guard (GPG) key, please seek out the public key with the sender email at: https://pgp.mit.edu  .