Re: Metapackage for latest backports kernel?

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021, Carsten Schoenert wrote:

> As long as you use 'linux-image-amd64' you will get the latest supported
> kernel version. But you will need this both times, once for the stable
> release and once for the buster-backport release, if you want both
> kernel versions get installed.

That’s going to be tricky though. Renaming… would be opening a can of
worms for various reasons. In general, for any given package, you have
to decide whether you use a backport or not.

You could do an upgrade/downgrade dance though:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install linux-image-amd64/buster
$ sudo apt-get -t buster-backports install linux-image-amd64
$ sudo apt-get --purge dist-upgrade

This will, in order, update the package lists, downgrade the kernel
metapackage pulling in the latest stable kernel by ABI, upgrade the
kernel metapackage pulling in the latest backports kernel by ABI,
then upgrade all remaining packages (including upgrades to the kernel
packages that didn’t change the ABI).

Untested, I can’t think of a system running a backports kernel atm.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Infrastrukturexperte • tarent solutions GmbH
Am Dickobskreuz 10, D-53121 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/

Mit dem tarent-Newsletter nichts mehr verpassen: www.tarent.de/newsletter