Re: Accepted debhelper 13.3.1~bpo10+1 (source) into buster-backports - Not upgrading

On 10 Jan 2021, at 00:59, Philip Wyett <philip.wyett@kathenas.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2021-01-10 at 01:54 +0100, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Jan 2021, Philip Wyett wrote:
>>
>>> philwyett@ks-kenobi:$ sudo apt upgrade
>>> [sudo] password for philwyett:
>>> Reading package lists... Done
>>> Building dependency tree
>>> Reading state information... Done
>>> Calculating upgrade... Done
>>> The following packages have been kept back:
>>>  libdebhelper-perl
>>> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
>>
>> Doing a simulation install in a buster chroot works for me.
>>
>> Please give the output of:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install debhelper libdebhelper-perl
>>
>> This should have more info for debugging; if not, just pile
>> on the packages it tells you it held back until it does.
>>
>> bye,
>> //mirabilos
>
> Hi,
>
> This is not an install as debhelper bpo is already installed. This is
> an upgrade run that should just work.

Well, install also upgrades if already installed. But you can run:

  apt -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=1  libdebhelper-perl

and get back a load of info that should pin-point the problem.

As for the --with-new-pkgs suggestion, that only matters for the old
apt-get. For apt, plain upgrade pulls in new packages too, it just
won't remove things (whereas apt full-upgrade, the new name for apt
dist-upgrade, does).

Jess