Re: Option to allow packages from backports but without forcing it

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 18:05, Thorsten Glaser <t.glaser@tarent.de> wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2020, Pirate Praveen wrote:

 > It also looks like buster-fasttrack is not set up correctly:
 > its policy value is 500, not 100 (NotAutomatic: yes and
 > ButAutomaticUpgrades: yes).

That is because we don't really expect the packages to be upgradable to next stable version (because these packages will not be in any stable release).

That’s no excuse to not set these two settings. You definitely ought
to set NotAutomatic: yes because otherwise, merely *adding* the repo
can cause packages from fasttrack to be installed that the user did
not explicitly select to install from there. And ButAutomaticUpgrades: yes
is needed to be able to upgrade once NotAutomatic: yes is set.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm discussing it with other team members and fasttrack users.

Until this is done, fasttrack is to be classified as dangerous.

Well, at present the only end user application there is gitlab and any package in fasttrack is required for it. It is not a general purpose repo yet. We will have to adapt things when more applications eventually start using it.

 > Looking at the fasttrack documentation, it also tells users
 > to use a buster-backports repository from the fasttrack.debian.net
 > site, which is also all kinds of wrong.

Why? There are times when we can't have a package in official backports immediately (transitions, backports-new). This is temporary repository. These
 gets removed when they are accepted in official backports.

[…]

 Because you did not add buster-backports suite.

Erm… I did add buster-backports, the official one.

You absolutely cannot have a thing called buster-backports on the
fasttrack server because that’s too easily confused with the
official one.

Let me think about it.

Erk. I don’t even want to continue looking at fasttrack now.

As I said earlier, you currently need it only if you are interested in gitlab package.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
tarent solutions GmbH